March 9, 2014

Leftovers

I've been making some pot holders using leftover fabric from my bib making. I love making use of things otherwise can be trashed. All you need is a little imagination to turn things into useful things for your life.







 

Talking of leftover, my standby lunch is often something I whip up from whatever I have in the kitchen, like the one in the photo at the bottom. In this, I topped rice with avocado slices, shredded chicken breast meat and nori seaweed, then drizzled it with Asian-inspired dressing I learned from a friend (I changed it a little). You can omit the chicken or add slices of abura-agé (fried tofu, available in Japanese grocery stores) - dry sautée it to make it crispy - to make it vegetarian.


Asian Dressing:

3 Tbsp.  soy sauce
3 Tbsp.  lemon juice
2 teasp.  finely chopped or minced ginger
2 teasp.  finely chopped or minced garlic
4-5 Tbsp.  oil (neutral flavored oil like canola, grapeseed, etc.)

This dressing goes well with salads, fish, chicken, and lean parts of pork.

Little tip on poaching chicken breast: Use a heavy duty pot with a lid like Le Cruiset, place the breasts in one part water & one part sake (so the chicken is barely covered) with some ginger slices & a stem of scallion. Cover and bring it to boil then lower heat to simmer for 20 min. Turn off heat and cool the chicken in the broth. I think sake & cooling the meat in its broth make the meat tender and moist. Serve with your favorite sauce or dressing. (Save the broth - it's a nice chicken stock - to use in soups.)

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts